- 3 cups all-purpose flour
- 1 egg, beaten
- 1 cup lukewarm water
- 1 teaspoon white sugar
- 1 teaspoon lard, melted
- 1 pinch salt
- 1 1/2 cups butter, melted
- 1 cup toasted bread crumbs
- 1 cup ground walnuts
- 3 1/2 pounds apples – peeled, cored and thinly sliced
- 3/4 cup raisins
- 1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1 3/4 cups white sugar
- Sift all-purpose flour into a large bowl. Mix in egg, water, white sugar, lard and salt. Knead until soft and smooth. Lightly brush with approximately 1 tablespoon butter. Cover with a towel and set aside 1 hour.
- Mix bread crumbs and 3/4 cup butter in a medium bowl. Mix in ground walnuts, apples, raisins, cinnamon and sugar.
- Preheat oven to 375 degrees F (190 degrees C). Lightly butter a medium baking dish.
- On a large, lightly floured surface stretch and roll the dough into a large, very thin rectangle. Cut away thick edges. Sprinkle with approximately 1/2 cup melted butter. Spread bread crumb mixture across the dough, leaving a two inch border on all sides. Fold one end of the dough over the filling, then roll dough to form strudel. Cut so that it will fit the baking dish.
- Place strudel in baking dish and brush with remaining butter. Bake in the preheated oven 1 hour, until surface is golden brown and apples are tender.