When I was a kid, this roast was the number 1 requested dish at Christmas time.
- 2 teaspoons salt
- 1 teaspoon ground ginger
- 1 (4 pound) beef top round roast
- 2 1/2 cups water
- 2 cups cider vinegar
- 2 medium onions, sliced
- 1/3 cup sugar
- 2 tablespoons mixed pickling spice
- 1 teaspoon whole peppercorns
- 8 whole cloves
- 2 bay leaves
- 2 tablespoons vegetable oil
- 14 gingersnaps, crushed
- Combine salt and ginger; rub over roast. Place in a deep glass bowl. In a saucepan, combine water, vinegar, onions, sugar, pickling spices, peppercorns, cloves and bay leaves; bring to a boil. Pour over roast; turn to coat. Cover and refrigerate for 2 days, turning twice a day.
- Remove roast, reserving marinade; pat roast dry. In a large kettle or Dutch oven, brown roast on all sides in oil over medium-high heat. Strain marinade, reserving half of the onions and seasonings. Pour 1 cup of marinade and reserved onions and seasonings over roast (cover and refrigerate remaining marinade). Bring to a boil. Reduce heat; cover and simmer for 3 hours or until meat is tender.
- Strain cooking liquid, discarding the onions and seasonings. Measure liquid; if necessary, add enough reserved marinade to equal 3 cups. Pour into a saucepan; bring to a rolling boil. Add gingersnaps; simmer until gravy is thickened. Slice roast and serve with gravy.