- 1 tablespoon vegetable oil
- 4 1/4 cups all-purpose flour
- 1 tablespoon salt
- 8 large eggs
- 1 cup water
- 1 (14.5 ounce) can sauerkraut
- 1/2 cup butter
- 4 tablespoons plain bread crumbs
- Fill a large pot with water, add oil, and bring to a boil.
- Place flour in a large mixing bowl and make a well in the middle. Add salt, eggs, and water and beat the dough until smooth and bubbly. The dough should have a thick consistency. Fill a spaetzle press with the dough and squeeze into the boiling water (You may use a colander to push the dough through or a wooden cutting board and scrape dough little by little with a knife into the water).
- When the spaetzle float to the top of the pot, drain them. Place half of the spaetzle in a glass baking dish and add a layer of sauerkraut on top. Add another layer of spaetzle and sauerkraut. Cover the pan to keep the dish warm.
- In a separate pan melt the butter and add breadcrumbs just long enough to moisten them. Top the spaetzle with the breadcrumbs. Serve all layers together, or reheat the next day in a little bit of butter.